If you’ve been compiling large AS projects in Flex for a while, you’ve probably seen the famous “An internal build error has occurred. Please check the Error Log.” This usually appears when I’ve done something in a swc and forgot to clean the project, but this wasn’t the case one fateful day while working on Incend.
I was pretty clueless as to why this was happening, so tried to narrow down the problem as they teach you in computer science (divide and conqueror). Working backwards, I commented out the last couple lines I added, and it compiled fine. Narrowing it down further, the culprit appeared to be a line which instantiated one of the ui screens. The bizarre thing was that this worked before, so it couldn’t have been the cause of the internal error.
After a couple hours passed, I’ve gone through everything I could think of that would’ve been code related, so it was time to investigate the swc assets. At first I thought it was some sort of corruption going on when compiling the swc in CS3, which was the cause of another internal error we had. This occurs when you hit cancel while exporting a big project (Incend’s fla was about 175 MB) to a swc and export again without restarting CS3. I’m not sure why this is the case, but I tried this solution and it did not work. I also tried to see if it was some sort of CS3 limitation for projects with lots of movieclips, linkages, and etc. I turned off things like “reduce file size and increase performance” in the project settings, deleted ASO files from the control menu, split the project into seperate fla’s as people suggested for past compiling problems. All these googled solutions did not work for this one particular headache.
I was starting to panic because this happening while I was doing the sponsor branding for Incend, and it was the last step to closing the deal. I don’t believe anyone wants to say to a sponsor, “Sorry I can’t add your logos to our game because it causes a compiling error.” The last ditch effort in fixing this problem was to look at the sponsor’s logo because that was the most recent addition to the swc’s. Upon opening the logo fla, I saw a couple of broken tweens on the first few frames of the animation.
I deleted these residue tweens, exported the swc in CS3, and built the project in Flex. To my amazement, it worked! I did not know broken tweens could cause such a problem, but it stumped Flex for some reason. I hope this solution helps somebody because this was one of the most strangest internal errors I’ve ever faced.